Tuesday, October 15, 2002

Goal drought... old pro

After three goals in three games I fired a blank at 5-a-side last night. I’m trying not to let it effect me as all strikers rely on confidence. I probably need one in off my backside, and I’m sure the goals will flow again. My list of ailments doesn’t help. Whilst my slight groin strain is merely uncomfortable, the soles of my feet are very sore - I now realise that having different trainers for different sports is not actually a sports manufacturers scam, (I include fashion as a sport in this particular instance). Oh, and cramp resulting from eating Spaghetti Bolognese too quickly didn’t help.

To compensate for my poor performance, I’m startled for find myself using ‘experience’ to compete during games. I don’t have the fitness or speed to throw myself around the pitch like others do, but I’m finding I do know a few little tricks which help me keep up. I make sure my positioning is good, and that I always pass to feet. But a big problem is stopping the ubiquitous 18-year-old tricky little winger. In events like this I’ve learnt to employ ‘the touch’ – rather than try to scythe his legs off and see myself humiliated by his quick Cruyff turn with double drag back, it’s far more effective to jog up behind him and put my hand on his back. This is enough to panic him into a wild cross-field pass into a melee of players. Job done, that’s what experience does for you. I guess psychologically, the reason for his panic is that he’s thinking that I’m about to inflict a jarring tackle on him, or give him a good bumming, either way, for him it’s preferable to concede possession.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds